Monday, February 18, 2008

The First Family Day In Ontario

February 18, 2008 is officially Family Day in Ontario.


My biggest question is, what does this holiday actually mean?


To me, it's a made up holiday to give those who already get every other holiday off, another day to stay home. My husband works for Goodyear and he is at work on this day. There is no management in today, they all got the day off. But all the blue collar workers are there, slugging the tires like every other day.


What about the worker who has to work two jobs just to make ends meet? Where is their holiday? They are the ones who truly need the day off with their family.


I'm not begruding anyone time with their kids and loved ones. Really I'm not. It just seems to me that this day is a sham. Those who truly need this day to be home with their kids, aren't getting it. They have sent their kids off to a babysitter so they can go and work a low paying job just to put food on the table.


Something about this just isn't right.


I'll be working here at home today on orders. I may sit down and watch a movie with my kids. But my hubby will be at work on the first official Family Day along with many, many others there at Goodyear and at other blue collar jobs. Where is their Family Day?


Seriously, what is the point?

9 comments:

Angela said...

Not fun. I'm sorry. My ex husband works for the post office and always has the same days off as our kids. I envy him because I always still have to work. My workplace is closed ONE day a year! Christmas, that's it! Hey - look at the bright side, atleast you have orders. I haven't had one in a while. Bah!

Ang

Anonymous said...

Holidays are good, but I'm with you! It seems like everytime you turn around, they are adding another one. Seems like if they were going to have an offical "Family Day", they would have had it on say a "Sunday" when most people would actually be able to be with their families.

MGoodell said...

I've never heard of that day before. That is so not fair! I am very sorry to hear that! I think you should make your own holiday where you and your husband take the day off, and everyone else has to shovel coal all day.....or something like that...;)

Unknown said...

They did totally muck this one up didn't they? My office went back and forth a bunch of times on whether we'd have it off - well we do, but the civic holiday will no longer be off (as it's not an actual stat holiday).

They should have either given everyone the day off, or no one. Personally I vote for everyone.

SEWphisticate said...

oh jeez! what a sad, pathetic joke. i hadn't heard about this holiday. it's a nice idea, but if it doesn't apply to everyone, then what is the point?

Angie said...

:O you're in ontario too! I had my first family day yesterday - I'm a student living 8 hours away from family, with midterms - I spent it, alone, with my kitty - studying...happy family day :P

I am thankful though for an extra day to study with no work or classes in the way.

Heather, paperfollies.typepad.com said...

Oh, I so agree with you. Family Day should be for those who really could use an official day off to BE with their families, not those who could just take a day off any old time (probably the ones who wouldn't commit to such a lovely gesture anyway...okay that was meanspirited). It seems the backbone of the labor force always gets shortchanged. Hope you give your husband an extra hug!
Heather

Patti said...

Just don't let this spread to the US!

Dre said...

I think there was a call for a stat holiday in February. I know that Alberta has had the family day in place for quite sometime and in Manitoba it's Louis riel day. Since hubby has to work here's hoping at the very least he is getting time and a half! :)

wonderful blog, love your banners and the features you have for your customers :)

About Me

I am a 37 year old Stay At Home mom with two wonderful children. I love creating and designing new and interesting graphics for stores, websites and blogs. It gives me an outlet for creativiity that would otherwise simply fester and die inside me. ;)
hit counters hit counters