Thursday, May 29, 2008

Today's Featured Seller - Half an Acre!!


Well, it's certainly been a while since I've worked on this blog! Once Etsy admin so kindly reactivated my Banner Queen shop, I thought it would be a great idea to get it up and running again. So, I went to the forums to find someone to feature.

9 pages! Now that's a lot to choose from!!

It was really tough to choose a shop from all of the wonderful submissions. But this one stood out and bit me right on the end of the nose.

I absolutely adore the colours and textures of these little creatures! Just look at this little Salamander crawling his way up the tree. Isn't he just the cutest thing you've ever seen?


Or this bucket of Pointy Fabulous Fish? Just look at the detail in them!


So, as always, I sent Half and Acre, my list of interview questions.

Tell me a little bit about you, your art and your store.

well, my name is Anna! Half-an-Acre is named after a quote from a 1950's gardening programme heard on the radio not long ago. A VERY British 'gentleman' offered this advice .."However small one's garden one should always set aside at least half an acre for wildflowers...". It made up giggle - and still does! The "we" is me and my old pal Ruth .... she is the other half of Half-an-Acre ... together we are an acre! We started making stuff because everything in the shops was so boring and samey. The British can tend towards convention when thinking about decorating their homes - we want to offer some bright, fabulous and funky things to cheer up these homes. We met at art college nearly 20 years ago and share a love of quirky and unique things. We are both passionate about colour. The Half-an-Acre Etsy shop contains all our handmade, painted, wooden items. Soon Ruth is opening another shop - "The Other Half-an-Acre" - selling other gorgeous handmade items including felted slippers socks and other lovelinesses!

What is your favourite piece and why?

My favourite piece is the Hagstone wreath decoration.



Why? Because I never intended to make it! It just happened! I spent many happy days on a beach on the Isle of Wight looking for them The stones were warm and lumpy in my pockets, the sun was shining and all was right with the world! I only made one. I loved working with the stones. They have such an organic feel to them. My husband loves it so much that he doesn't want anyone to buy it and wants me to price it so high so that no-one does! But I haven't!

What inspires you?

Colour inspires me. It always has. I grew up with my mother constantly exclaiming "LOOK! Look at that lovely shade of blue!". Colour excites me. I find patterning very soothing. I doodle constantly and some of the patterns on our wooden items are direct results of doodles.

If the world could only know one thing about you, what would you want that to be?

I'll prove you all wrong ..... there's more to me that you will ever know.......

What did you have for breakfast?

Ummmmm ........... two bits of toast and marmite! Lots of coffee!

What is the strangest pet you've ever had?

Stick Insects...

If you were a colour, what colour would you be?

I would wish to be seen as a pale turquoise but I think I am really and orangy-red!

Now, you have to agree with me. Aren't those pieces gorgeous? Be sure to click on them or the banner (not made by me!) to go to Half an Acre's shop and spread the Etsy love!

Stop by soon for another featured Etsy shop.

Deon

3 comments:

DJ said...

great post! I love those pointy fish!

TotusMel said...

great choice for a feature..I love those fish too.
-pam

smith scratch said...

Fantastic! Really great post. I love the fish too!
mandy
small threads

About Me

I am a 37 year old Stay At Home mom with two wonderful children. I love creating and designing new and interesting graphics for stores, websites and blogs. It gives me an outlet for creativiity that would otherwise simply fester and die inside me. ;)
hit counters hit counters